Monday, March 2, 2009

The Shining

It occurred to me sometime in February that I was reliving a favorite movie. Trapped in my home by howling winds and record snowfall amounts, things looked grimly like deja vu.

December, January and February...all below normal COLD temperatures and the constant dipping barometer which brought piles of white stuff. If I was a skier or snowboarder, I would have been joyous...but since my favorite past time involves not being outside in -2 degrees, I was miserable.

Even the family dog grated on my nerves, and he has the status of a sacred cow in this household. I will leave it at that, you can fill in the blanks with how I felt about the rest of the folks in this house. By mid February there were alot of pregnant pauses in conversations and plenty of excuses to watch TV alone.

When my husband started to resemble Jack Nicholson, I questioned my initial deja vu and sanity. I started counting the knives in the kitchen drawer....5, 6, 7 all there. PHEW.

And then it happened, I glanced into my back yard and saw a red headed woodpecker and a robin the last week of February. I began to hear birds early in the morning chirping....now that didn't happen months ago!! I heard this morning that the time change is Sunday, spring baseball has begun and college spring break is in progress.

And just in the nick of time I might add. I never gave our feathered friends much credit but they definitely have their "ducks in a row" about fall travel to warmer places.

Now that spring is coming, I have to think of a safe place for those sharp knives.....

No comments:

Post a Comment